There is so much to love about the Fall - cool weather, colorful leaves, pumpkins and layers! (Especially during that postpartum period) Don't be afraid to layer your nursing pieces for a visually stimulating outfit so you don't feel BLAGH during the season of WOOP! (I totally made all those words up, but I hope you get my drift)
When it comes to layers, there are a ton of rules. But for the sleep-deprived Mom, I'm picking only 3 for a fail-safe layer approach:
1. Keep it simple - no more than 3 layers (a 'base', a cardigan/vest, a necklace/scarf). After that, you'll start to look like Joey from Friends:
2. Make sure your layers are different lengths. If you wear 2 layers of the same length, you will look very box-like. That's fine if you're going for a box-like look but we're going for an outfit that's visually stimulating and makes you feel like you still have normal clothes (because you do - this time around, your clothes are just MADE to help you do what you do as a breastfeeding Mom). If you wear 2 items that fall the same place on your hips, add a third layer that is an accessory: a scarf, a belt, a necklace, etc. to give you that extra something that makes people say, "Wow - you look awesome today!"
3. Don't go overboard with the fabrics or prints of the items. Keep it simple. Only 1 item should be something unlike the rest.
To demonstrate some of these rules, we've taken the Christy Top (in cream) and paired it with a polyester vest with a great print and tiered opening:
Like the look? Here's how to get it:
1. The Christy top is still in stock through the season. If you're a Mama's MilkBox subscriber, email email@example.com and let our Styling Team know of your request. If you're not a subscriber, then sign up today! This top is beautiful in and of itself and is FABULOUS for pumping; with zipper access (on the sides), it's also the best for discreet breastfeeding.
2. The waterfall vest? It's called the Claudia and can be found on the Charming Charlie website for only $25. Item runs true to size.
As I mentioned above, there is a plethora of tips or tricks when it comes to layering but if you've got a new baby in the house, just keep it simple, Mama. We want to help you so that YOU feel like your old self if the crazy, new normal, but don't forget, your baby thinks you're gorgeous every day (rightfully so).
Have a fabulous weekend,
My name is Elena aka The Breastfeeding Stylist and the creator of Mama's MilkBox.
We have one mission here at Mama's MilkBox: help Moms find their "old" fabulous selves in their new normal.